Step 1: Disabling Atomic Search in your course
If you do not want to allow students to search your course, you can disable the Atomic Search feature. Disabling it will not prevent you, your TAs, course designers, or Missouri Online staff from searching your course.
- Select Search from the Course Navigation menu in your course.
- Select the three vertical dots at the upper right of the Search page.
- Choose Course Settings (See Fig. 1).
Figure 1: Location of Atomic Search Course Settings
- Toggle Allow student to search this course to the off position- it will turn from green with a check mark to black with an "X", (See Fig. 2).
Figure 2: Toggle off student search
- Select Save.
Step 2: Remove Search Tool from Course Navigation
Once Atomic Search is disabled, we recommend also removing the Search tool from your Course Navigation menu so students cannot access it. If the Search tool is not removed, students who attempt to use it will receive an error message ("Something went wrong, contact your system administrator for help").
Note: You will still be able to search the contents of your course from the Canvas Dashboard.
- Select Settings from the Course Navigation menu.
- Click the three vertical dots next to Search on the Navigation page (See Fig. 3).
- Choose Disable (See Fig. 3)
Figure 3: Disable Search in the Course Navigation
- Scroll to the bottom and click Save.
Modified on: Wed, Jul 6, 2022 at 9:46 AM
Did you find it helpful?