- Create an assignment normally per the instructions here.
- Change the submission type to Online (See Fig. 1).
- Select Text Entry or File Uploads (See Fig. 1). This will add a Plagiarism Review section to the Assignment Editing page.
- In the Plagiarism Review section, select Turnitin (See Fig. 1).
- Decide if you wish to show originality reports to students and when. Choices are: Never, After the Due Date, After the Assignment is Graded and Immediately.
- Finish filling in the other Canvas Assignment settings (see below for recommendations).
- Select Save & Publish.
Figure 1: Turnitin assignment settings
Course Design and Technology recommends the following Turnitin settings:
Store submissions in:
- Choose Do not store the submitted papers for draft writing assignments.
- Choose Institution Paper Repository for final drafts or papers without multiple drafts.
This setting is useful in classes where multiple drafts are graded separately.
Compare submissions against:
- ✓ Student repository — papers collected by Turnitin globally.
- ✓ Institutional repository — papers collected in the UM System (no MU content is stored globally)
- ✓ Website content — open webpages (but not pages behind paywalls).
- ✓ Periodicals, journals and publications — many journal periodical databases and books.
These settings control the sources used for similarity checking. Turning any of them off will lessen the value of the report.
- ✓ Exclude bibliographic materials — prevents matches on bibliographies. Disable if the assignment includes an annotated bibliography or is only a bibliography.
- ✓ Exclude quoted materials — assumes that all materials in quotation marks and properly formatted block quotes are not plagiarized.
- ✓ Enable Translated Matching — see: https://help.turnitin.com/feedback-studio/turnitin-website/administrator/customizing-account-settings/enabling-translated-matching.htm
- ✓ Exclude small sources — is used to exclude common phrases. Do not set to more than 10 words or 1%.
These are filters used to fine tune reports. With the exception of Translated Matching, you can turn them on or off in individual reports.
Save as default settings:
Check this box if you wish to reuse these settings for future assignments.
Modified on Modified on: Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 9:45 AM
Did you find it helpful?