Using Turnitin's Plagiarism Review with a Canvas Assignment
- Create an assignment normally per the instructions here.
- Change the submission type to Online (See Fig. 1).
- Choose Text Entry or File Uploads (See Fig. 1). This will add a Plagiarism Review section to the Assignment Editing page.
- In the Plagiarism Review section, choose Turnitin (See Fig. 1) .
- Decide if you wish to show originality reports to students and when. Choices are: Never, After the Due Date, After the Assignment is Graded, and Immediately.
- Finish filling in the other Canvas Assignment settings (see below for recommendations).
- Click Save & Publish.
Figure 1: Turnitin assignment settings
Course Design and Technology recommends the following Turnitin settings:
Store submissions in:
- Choose Do not store the submitted papers for draft writing assignments.
- Choose Institution Paper Repository for final drafts or papers without multiple drafts.
This setting is useful in classes where multiple drafts are graded separately.
Compare submissions against:
- ✓ Student repository - papers collected by Turnitin globally.
- ✓ Institutional repository - papers collect in the UM System (no MU content is stored globally)
- ✓ Website content - open web pages (but not pages behind paywalls).
- ✓ Periodicals, journals and publications - many journal periodical databases and books.
These settings control the sources used for similarity checking. Turning any of them off will lessen the value of the report.
- ✓ Exclude bibliographic materials - prevents matches on bibliographies. Disable if the assignment includes an annotated bibliography or is only a bibliography.
- ✓ Exclude quoted materials - assumes that all materials in quotation marks and properly formatted block quotes are not plagiarized.
- - Enable Translated Matching - see: https://help.turnitin.com/feedback-studio/turnitin-website/administrator/customizing-account-settings/enabling-translated-matching.htm
- ✓ Exclude small sources - is used to exclude common phrases. Do not set to more than 10 words or one percent.
These are filters used to fine tune reports. With the exception of Translated Matching, you can turn them on or off in individual reports.
Save as default settings:
Check this box if you wish to reuse these settings for future assignments.
Did you find it helpful?
Modified on: Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 4:05 PM