Understanding Canvas course roles and permissions
A Canvas user may be assigned to one of eight different course roles. Below is a summary of each role that is available in One Canvas. Roles from individual campus instances that are not replicated in One Canvas are librarian, ABET, content developer, UMKC-Guest, builder, teacher+sections, and SI instructor (Observer).
- Teacher has full course capabilities. Cannot add/remove people except in Org, Noncredit, or Dev sites and cannot add LTIs.
- TA has full course capabilities except it cannot manage enrollments, publish the site, or add LTIs.
- Designer can view and edit course content, view and post to Discussions, and view grades. Designer can view the People page but cannot manage enrollments, change grades or send messages to users.
- Grader can view and grade all assessments. Grader can view Discussions but cannot edit course content or send messages.
- Student can view course content and fully participate in the course.
- Observer can view course content and Discussions.
- Guest Account will be provisioned through a third part tool (Cirrus) in which users will create accounts utilizing credentials from Google, Facebook or Microsoft (coming late Fall 2021).
- Reviewer provides anonymous access to a course. Applicable course sites get copied to a subaccount for the reviewers to access.
To increase efficiency and improve customer service, limited administrator access can be granted to an individual to support users and sites in Canvas for their functional unit (division, department, college/school). UM system requires that individuals must demonstrate proficiency in utilizing elevated privileges in Canvas and that certain rules, standards and guidelines are followed.
Users must have successfully completed the following training prior to receiving elevated access in Canvas:
After finishing the required training complete the online request form.
Did you find it helpful?
Modified on: Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 12:31 PM