You can add no-cost machine generated captions to a Panopto recording. Machine generated captions are generally 60% to 90% accurate. This type of captioning does not meet ADA compliance. If a student requires ADA standard captions, you should contact the Disability Center at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the paid-for service.
Note: It may take over an hour after the recording is completed before the captions have been generated.
Importing, Editing, Viewing and Downloading Machine Captions
Panopto Creators (Canvas Teachers and TAs) can enable Automatic Machine Caption on a Panopto Folder. New Recordings in the folder will automatically have captions imported. The below video will demonstrate the process.
To import ASR captions into a single recording or to edit captions, please open this Panopto help document. Instructors can also download text version of the captions in a external file.
- Go to your Canvas course site.
- Select Panopto Video in your Canvas course menu (see Fig. 1).
Figure 1: Panopto Video tab
- Select the gear icon (See Fig. 2).
Figure 2: Gear icon for Panopto settings
- Select Settings in the pop-up window (See Fig. 3).
Figure 3: Settings tab
- In the Captions, Automatically Caption new sessions using drop-down menu, choose Automatic Machine Captions (See Fig. 4).
Figure 4: Automatic Machine Caption in the drop-down menu
Modified on: Thu, Feb 9, 2023 at 10:39 AM
Did you find it helpful?