Using a syllabus statement for LockDown Browser
Using LockDown Browser and a Webcam for Online ExamsThis course requires the use of LockDown Browser and a webcam for online exams. The webcam can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the webcam feature. A student Quick Start Guide (PDF) is also available.
Then download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
[NOTE TO INSTRUCTOR: INSERT YOUR INSTITUTION'S DOWNLOAD URL HERE]
To ensure LockDown Browser and the webcam are set up properly, do the following:
- Start LockDown Browser, log into [INSTRUCTOR: ENTER LMS NAME HERE], and select this course.
- Locate and select the Help Center button on the LockDown Browser toolbar.
- Run the Webcam Check and, if necessary, resolve any issues.
- Run the System & Network Check. If a problem is indicated, see if a solution is provided in the Knowledge Base. Troubleshooting information can also be emailed to our institution's help desk.
- Exit the Help Center and locate the practice quiz named [NOTE TO INSTRUCTOR: CREATE A BRIEF PRACTICE QUIZ AND INSERT NAME OF QUIZ HERE; IF NECESSARY, INCLUDE LOCATION OF QUIZ].
- Upon completing and submitting the practice quiz, exit LockDown Browser.
When taking an online exam that requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, remember the following guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted.
- Turn off all other devices (e.g., tablets, phones, second computers).
- Clear your desk of all external materials not permitted — books, papers, other devices.
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test.
- If the computer or networking environment is different than what was tested above, repeat the Webcam and System checks prior to starting the test.
- To produce a good webcam video, do the following:
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims.
- Ensure your computer or tablet is on a firm surface (a desk or table) — not on your lap, a bed or other surface that might move.
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid tilting the screen after the webcam setup is complete.
- Take the exam in a well-lit room and avoid backlighting, such as sitting with your back to a window.
- Remember that LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.
Monitor-Syllabus-Example.docx (16.9 KB)
Did you find it helpful?
Modified on: Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 9:42 AM