NOTE: If you are not adding links for the ExecMBA or BA/PDP Bookshelf accounts, please see adding the VitalSource Materials Tab to Canvas Course Navigation (for MU, UMSL, and MS&T) or adding the VitalSource Bookshelf link to a module (for UMKC), as the instructions and procedures are slightly different. Contact the Academic Technology team if you have questions about the changes
Before starting, make sure you have a vbid (Virtual Bookshelf ID number) for your textbook. If you do not have a vbid, please check with the AutoAccess Team.
- From your Canvas site, select Modules in the course navigation menu.
- In the Modules page, select the + icon to the right of an existing module (See Fig. 1).
Figure 1: Add module item
- In the dialog box that appears, choose External Tool from the Add drop-down menu.
- Choose Bookshelf in the tool list that appears (See Fig. 2).
- The URL field should display https://bc.vitalsource.com/books/. Enter the vbid after the trailing backslash (e.g., vbid = 9876543210987. URL = https://bc.vitalsource.com/books/9876543210987). Consider copying and pasting the vbid to avoid typos. vbids may contain letters, numbers, and hyphens.
NOTE: If you cannot see the URL field and the remainder of the dialog box, expand it by dragging the lower right-corner or use the outermost scroll bar to scroll down.
Figure 2: External Tool dialog box.
- Enter the book title in the Page Name field. Consider a short title, for instance Five Dysfunctions 1e or Lencioni1e instead of The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, 1e. We recommend that you name the link in a way consistent with your usage in course documents such as the syllabus.
- Checking the box for Load in a new tab is optional. If it is not checked, it will appear inside of Canvas, which will restrict the space allowed for the text and illustrations. It also presents a more cluttered look that may be distracting for some students. Launching it in a new tab provides a less cluttered look and maximizes the screen real estate available to the book.
- The first time you link a textbook, you will need to accept the Terms and Privacy agreement and will be asked to log in to VitalSource or register with your email address and create a password. Normally your email address should be your campus account, though it is not required. The password should not be the same one you use to log in to campus systems.
Use the Student View to test the link for students.
Students sometimes have difficulty locating the textbook link. We suggest you put it in a module by itself, or with other, explanatory materials, such as a note on AutoAccess. Clearly label the module as Textbook.
If students report problems using their VitalSource text on their phone or tablet, suggest they download the VitalSource Bookshelf app.
Although the VitalSource link must be in modules, there are some workarounds if you wish it to also appear elsewhere in the course.
- For the Syllabus, Announcements or Pages, use the Modules tool found in the sidebar of the visual editor. This will create a shortcut to the textbook link in Modules. (Do not try to copy and paste the actual Bookshelf link. This will fail.)
- If you would like to link it from the Course Navigation Menu, you may use the Redirect tool in Settings > Apps (select the icon that looks like a blue, circling arrow) (See Fig. 3).
- For Name, give it a short, descriptive name.
- In the URL Redirect field, carefully copy the link address of the Module Item (not the VBID), for example https://missouri.instructure.com/courses/7425/modules/items/751016.
Uncheck Force open in new tab (For External Links Only).
- Check Show in Course Navigation.
- Then select Add App.
Figure 3: Redirect Icon.
NOTE: Trulaske College of Business instructors may see three VitalSource Bookshelf tools in the External Tools Menu: Bookshelf, BA/PDP Bookshelf, ExecMBA Bookshelf. Only courses in the ExecMBA program should select the ExecMBA Bookshelf tool. Only PDP sites should use the BA/PDP Bookshelf tool. All others should use the generic Bookshelf tool.
If you encounter technical difficulties, please contact the Academic Technology team.
Modified on: Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 10:54 AM
Did you find it helpful?