Generative AI (GenAI) is a type of artificial intelligence (AI) that can create new content, such as text, images, video, audio, code or synthetic data, based on learning from existing data. Generative AI models can mimic the patterns and structure of the input data, and then generate new data that has similar characteristics.
Some examples of generative AI systems are ChatGPT, a chatbot that can generate natural language responses to any prompt; DALL-E, an image generator that can create realistic or surreal pictures from text descriptions; and Stable Diffusion, an AI art system that can produce high-quality paintings from natural language prompts.
How can I use Generative AI in teaching?
- Students can receive support throughout the process of composing content (brainstorming, editing, etc.) with generative AI.
- Ask students to analyze, reflect on, and build upon the contributions of generative AI, which should serve as a partner and not as a substitute.
- Generative AI can provide personalized tutoring and learning experiences by identifying patterns and trends through learning analytics.
- Create content for teaching with the support of generative AI (lesson plans, assignment instructions and rubrics, and multimedia materials).
What is unique about Generative AI?
- Generative AI can produce most kinds of content from plaintext instructions, in some cases supplemented by uploaded images or other files.
- GenAI can assist in many tasks needed for completing assignments.
- GenAI raises ethical and policy questions that faculty and students need to consider.
There are many Generative AI tools. At this time (July 2023), none are directly integrated with Canvas, though some of the other third-party tools in Canvas may be adding capabilities from some models. If asking students to use a Generative AI tool, please check the vendor's website for compatibility requirements. If you are uncertain, please contact us for assistance in verifying requirements.
Note: The introduction and image above were created using Bing AI Chat in Creative Mode (GPT-4).
Modified on: Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 3:55 PM
Did you find it helpful?