Creating a Google Assignment
A UM System G Suite account is required. All UM System faculty, staff and students can create an account.
- Go to www.google.com and click the Sign in button in the page’s upper right-hand corner.
- Enter your login in the format USERNAME@umsystem.edu. Click Next.
- Accept terms.
After you've created your account, add your assignment files to Google Drive before following the steps below.
To create a Google Assignment in your Canvas site:
- From your Canvas site, click the Assignments button in your course navigation menu.
- Enter a name, description and point value.
- In the Submission Type section, select External Tool from the dropdown menu (See Fig. 1).
- Click the Find button (see Fig. 2).
- In the Configure External Tool pop-up window, scroll down the list and locate the Google Assignments tool (See Fig. 3). Select it.
- A pop-up window will appear. Login to your Google Drive account, or confirm that the account you are currently logged into is correct. Click the Continue button.
- The pop-up window will switch to the Create a Google assignment page (See Fig. 4).
- Choose whether you want to use the plagiarism (originality) tool.
- Attach files from your Google Drive that you want to use with the assignment.
- Enter the same point value that you did in the Canvas page.
- If you will enter a due date in the Canvas page, enter the same date here. Otherwise, leave this field blank.
- Choose whether you want to use a rubric. If so, select a Rubric or create a new one. Otherwise, skip this step.
- Click the Create button. You'll return to the Configure External Tool pop-up window.
- Click the Select button. The pop-up window closes, and you will return to the Canvas Assignment page.
- Continuing entering the information on the Canvas page. If you entered a due date on the Google Assignment pop-up window, enter the same date here.
- Click the Save & Publish or the Save button.
Did you find it helpful?
Modified on: Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 9:35 AM