Using Respondus to import Word exams into Canvas
Respondus 4.0 can convert exams currently formatted in Microsoft Word into Canvas format exams and publish them to a Canvas site.
NOTE: The Word document must first conform to Respondus’ own format. See the attached PDF for information on formatting the questions in your Word document.
- Once your Word document has been formatted correctly, open Respondus 4.0.
- From the Start tab, click Import Questions.
- Change the Type of file menu to Microsoft Word (DOC) (See Fig. 1).
Figure 1: DOC file type
- Use the Browse button to find the Word document you want to import.
- Name your new Respondus document (See Fig. 2).
Figure 2: Enter new document name
- Click the Preview button and make sure there are no errors or warnings.
- Click Finish to import the questions into Respondus.
- Switch to the Preview + Publish tab and switch to Publish on the left site. Click Publish Wizard (See Fig. 3).
Note: The name of the quiz you create does not have to match the name of your Respondus file. This is the name of the quiz that will appear in Canvas.
Figure 3: Publish Wizard
- Click Next.
- Select the Canvas site you want to publish to and click Next (See Fig 4).
Figure 4: Selecting the Canvas course site
- When the publish completes, click Finish.
- The new quiz should now be available in your Canvas site. You will need to adjust the settings for your new Quiz to control aspects such as availability and time limits. See the What options can I set in a Quiz help article for information on adjusting your quiz settings.
- Remember, you must Publish your quiz in Canvas in order to make it available to your students.
Respondus Standard Import Format.pdf (500 KB)
Did you find it helpful?
Modified on: Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 3:09 PM