Connecting Top Hat Classroom with my Canvas Site
Before you begin
- Make sure you have already created your free Top Hat account and course.
- Publish your Canvas site prior to syncing your Top Hat course with your Canvas site.
Note: If you have co-instructors or teaching assistants for this course, we strongly encourage you to designate one instructor as the person who will facilitate the authentication and manage the syncing of grades throughout the semester.
- Log in to Top Hat and access your Top Hat course.
- From your course page, click on the gear icon in the upper, right-hand corner and select Course Settings (see Fig 1).
Figure 1: Select Course Settings.
- Select LMS Integration & Sync from the left menu and click on the blue Enable LMS sync button (see Fig 2).Figure 2: Select LMS Integration & Sync and then the Enable LMS sync button.
- In the window that appears, click the blue Authorize Top Hat with your LMS button to give Top Hat permission to authenticate with your Canvas site (see Fig 3).
Figure 3: Authorize Top Hat with your LMS.
- Log in to Canvas on the screen provided.
Note: if you are already logged into Canvas in the same browser you may not be provided with this screen and will be logged in automatically.
- Click the Authorize button (see Fig. 4).
Figure 4: Click the blue Authorize button.
- In the popup window select the Canvas site you want to connect with your Top Hat course and click Connect (see Fig 5). If you do not see the intended course in the list, ensure that you are enrolled in the Canvas course as a Teacher and that you have published (made public/available) your Canvas site.
Figure 5: Select your Canvas site from the list and click Connect.
- Your students will import and you will see a LMS Sync Configured message (see Fig.6).Figure 6: LMS Sync Configured message.
Either close the box to finish, or click Go to Student Manager to continue setting up your Top Hat course.
If you are teaching multiple courses using Top Hat you will want to follow the above steps to authenticate each of your Top Hat courses with its corresponding Canvas site.
Did you find it helpful?
Modified on: Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 4:03 PM