Using the Canvas Late Policy to Automatically Enter a 0
Note: If you set the late policy at the end of the semester or after the submission, you will need to manually enter a ‘0’ in that column. So, it is best to set this at the beginning of the semester.
- Go to your Canvas course.
- Select Grades in the course navigation menu.
- Select the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of the grade center. The Late Policies tab will appear.
- Select automatically apply grade for missing submissions.
- Enter 0% in the box for Grade for missing submissions (See Fig. 1).
Figure 1: Late Policy options
- Select Apply Settings.
- Canvas will now insert a 0 into any missing assignment cells after the due date has passed; however, students can still submit/resubmit if the assignment is still available.
Why should I set this?
Every cell in the Canvas grade center should have a number or value. If you have a cell that does not contain a grade, Canvas is not counting that assignment toward the final grade in your total column (See Fig. 2).
Figure 2: Gradebook values
Did you find it helpful?
Modified on: Wed, May 18, 2022 at 11:19 AM