Adding Proctorio to a Canvas Quiz
You must complete the initial setup instructions before following this document.
Enabling Proctorio in a Canvas quiz
You can enable Proctorio for any existing Canvas quiz created in the Classic Quiz tool. IMPORTANT: Proctorio is not yet compatible with the New Quizzes tool. Create your Canvas quiz and set a time limit. The time limit must be less than eight hours.
TIP: Consider setting up a short practice quiz with Proctorio. This will give students a low-pressure way to get familiar with it, get the browser extension installed and understand what to expect.
- Log in to Canvas and browse to the site where the quiz exists.
- Click on the Quizzes navigation button, and locate the quiz you want to deploy with Proctorio.
- Click on the More icon at the far right of the quiz title and select Edit from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to the Quiz Restrictions section of the page and check the box for Enable Proctorio Secure Exam Proctor.
- Now, scroll to the top of the page and click the Proctorio Settings tab.
- Review each of the three major sections of the settings page and enable the options you want to use.
Exam settings encompass Recording Options, Lock Down Options, Verification Options, and In-Quiz tools. These will set the requirements for your students when taking the test.
TIP: Do not set the Prevent Re-entry option. If this option is enabled, a student will not be able to restart a test if they experience a network, browser or computer failure.
Behavior Settings are a set of pre-made profiles that determine how different metrics are weighted to determine suspicious behavior. These can be adjusted by sliders. The different metrics that may be adjusted are:
- Navigating Away.
- Copy and Paste.
- Browser Resize.
- Head and Eye Movement.
- Multi-Face (more than one face appearing on camera during the test).
- Leaving the Room.
Exam Metrics allow you to decide what kinds of abnormalities in taking a test to highlight when evaluating the student’s behavior. They are grouped into Computer-Based Abnormalities, Environmental Abnormalities and Technical Abnormalities.
Calculators and a whiteboard can also be enabled for students to use in Proctorio.
- If this is your first time setting up Proctorio with a quiz, we recommend that you Create New Profile to save default settings. Creating profiles gives you one-click access to your Proctorio settings for future tests.
- Save your Quiz when you are finished with the settings.
NOTE: The preview quiz feature will not show you the test through Proctorio. It will only preview the quiz in Canvas with the Canvas-native settings.
Did you find it helpful?
Modified on: Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 9:16 AM