Navigating your Canvas course site (for students)
First, check your computer specifications (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10721) to make sure your system is compatible with Canvas.
To log in, go to http://courses.missouri.edu and click the Canvas button. Log in with your Mizzou PawPrint and password.
After you have entered your username and password, you will be taken to your Canvas user dashboard. From here, you can view announcements, to-do items, and upcoming events for all of your Canvas courses. Go here to learn more about using the Dashboard: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10587
To return to the Dashboard from within any course, click the MU logo in the top left-hand corner of your screen.
The following links, on the far left-hand side of page (against the black background), will be accessible from any page within Canvas:
- Account—update your profile, settings, or notification preferences
- Dashboard—tiles of active Canvas courses
- Courses—a drop-down menu that will bring up all of your Canvas courses
- Groups—will appear if you have access to any Canvas groups
- Calendar—view all events and due dates for all of your Canvas courses
- Inbox—view any messages you have received
- Help—access for help
- MU Connect—if your instructor has enabled MU Connect, click here to make appointments, view warnings and kudos, etc.
There are a variety of tools that may be found in your Course Navigation. This is variable for each Canvas course dependent upon what your instructor has chosen to utilize.
- Pay close attention to your course announcements in order to receive information and updates from your instructor.
- Announcements for all of your Canvas courses will also appear under the "Recent Activity" heading of your Dashboard.
- By default, you will receive announcements automatically via email.
The Syllabus table lists all of the activities in the course that have due dates. If you have customized your time zone (under Account Settings), the due date and time will appear in your local time (e.g., if you live in California, an assignment that is due at 11:59 p.m. Central time is due at 9:59 p.m. for you). Go here to learn more about using the Syllabus: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10699.
Your course activities may be organized under the Modules page. Course modules can include any of the following types of content:
- Handouts—in Word, PDF, or PowerPoint format
- Multimedia materials (videos, etc.)
- Links to external websites
- Discussions relevant to the module topic (see the following section on participating in discussions)
- Assignments or quizzes to complete (see the following section for detailed information on completing and submitting graded work)
Logging Out of Canvas
To log out of Canvas completely, you must close your browser completely. If you use the Log Out link in Canvas without closing your browser, you will not be logged out. This is of particular concern if you are on a public or shared computer.
Did you find it helpful?
Modified on: Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 11:18 AM