Enrolling users in your Canvas site
Enrolling Instructors or TAs
Anyone with an instructional responsibility in a course has to be listed with the class in MyZou. You'll need to have the user listed with the class in MyZou, then when they enrolled in the Canvas site, we can change the student to Grader or Course Designer if you prefer either of those roles.
Students who are enrolled in your class in MyZou are automatically enrolled in Canvas sites. Students appear in Canvas within 24 hours of enrolling in a course in MyZou.
Enrolling External Users (Guests)
If you want to add a user to your Canvas site who is not affiliated with Mizzou or a UM System campus (e.g., guest lecturer, professional reviewer, accreditor), please contact Division of IT Tech Support at (573) 882-5000 or email@example.com to request a courtesy SSO for the user. When the courtesy SSO is created contact Educational Technologies (573) 882-3303 or firstname.lastname@example.org to add the SSO to the Canvas system. All guests must meet the required FERPA and security guidelines prior to gaining access to Canvas.
Enrolling users to your course site
- From within your Canvas course site click on People.
- Click the Add People button.
- Change the "Add user(s) by" button to Login ID.
- Enter the username of the user you would like to add. If you have multiple users you can enter them all separated by commas.
- Choose the role you would like the user(s) to have (available roles are student and observer).
- Select the section you want them to be in.
*If you do NOT select the box for "Can interact with users in their section only" the new user will be able to see all of the users in the course site.
- Click Next.
- If you have put in the correct usernames the next screen will resolve with the person's first and last name and look like the picture below (See Fig. 1). If the username does not resolve, either you have entered an incorrect username or the user does not have a Canvas username (See Fig. 2).
Figure 1: Successful addition
9. Click Add Users. Click Done.
Figure 2: Unsuccessful add: Stop and contact email@example.com to have the user added to Canvas.
Note: If you need assistance enrolling a user in your course site, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you find it helpful?
Modified on: Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 11:16 AM